Forums

NC Forums down?

For all discussion about the Neocron 2 world.

Moderator: Tech Haven Network - Moderator team

NC Forums down?

Postby Matan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:35 am

Anyone else finding they can't connect to NC forums?
Matan
THN Wiki Administrator

Postby Ressi » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:56 am

Indeed, NC Forum seems to be down now
Ressi Blade
Major General [CW-FA]
House DoY - Titan
Chairwoman Fallen Angels Terra + Mars
Recipient of the Faction Medal Lvl 3
Ressi
THN Supahfan

Clan: Defenders of York
Faction: Fallen Angels

Postby Noopectro » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:57 am

Yep, just as I was going to reactivate my account too :(

For the record, there's a problem with the account page too, it's not showing any subscription info or any of the payment buttons :\ I finally get all the patching stuff worked out and then I can't reactivate :P
WEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOO!
Noopectro
THN nib

Postby Faid » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:44 pm

The account reactivation has been screwed up fo a couple weeks now afaik, it happened right about the same time nc went offline almost 2 weeks ago I believe. Forums are down for me as well.
Faid
THN User

Postby Tratos » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:40 pm

Faid wrote:The account reactivation has been screwed up fo a couple weeks now afaik, it happened right about the same time nc went offline almost 2 weeks ago I believe. Forums are down for me as well.

two weeks ago? :crazy:
THN Administrator & Moderator
Tratos
THN Administrator

Postby Abeyance » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:21 am

I see Reakktor still have their long term/non existent SLAs :p
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby joemud » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:19 am

f'ing great i've been banging my head on my desk for the past 4 hours wondering why paypal went through but no neocron account was created

I was so happy that I was gonna be able to play neocron again since I tested the original but...of course monkey wrench in the plans.

So far this is a great trail,I might pay for a year....... :wrong:

:banghead:
joemud
THN nib

Postby Selendor » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:53 am

Arg....forum....withdrawal.....symptoms..... :banghead:

AD forums down now too, bleh
Selendor
THN nib

Postby Brammers » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:55 am

Joemud - KK have been having Paypal issues recently, which I don't think is connected to the NC forums being down.

Don't know what the current state of play is as the NC forums are buggered atm.
Brammers - THN Admin & CEO Phoenix Ltd.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Clan: Phoenix Ltd

Postby Noopectro » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:47 am

Not just Paypal, I can't seem to be able to create a trial account on Click2Buy Either, I just get a blank white page when I've entered all my details :(

So far, in trying to actually play Neocron I've had to:
1. Try to patch my retail NC2 version, which failed.
2. Download the patches from the ftp server, save them in the patches directory and attempt to patch again, which failed.
3. Download the 2.2 client from the website and attempt to patch, using the downloaded patches to save time, which failed.
4. Download the 2.2 client and left it running all night slowly downloading the patches from the actual game server which finally actually worked.
5. Try to reactivate my own account, which failed.
6. Try to get a 10 day trial account on paypal- the subscription went through but my account never got activated.
7. Cancel paypal and try to get a trial account on Click2Buy- which also failed.

(The above accompanied with a range of uninstalls, reinstalls, permission changes, etc.)

I've played neocron before and I'm competent enough with computers to try all those different things before giving up! Most people would of gave up on the 1st or 2nd step, no wonder there's less and less people playing!
WEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOO!
Noopectro
THN nib

Postby Brammers » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:04 am

Right I think I've found out why the NC forum server is down.

Yesterday, in Houston Texas, the power for a datacenter was cut off due to a transformer fire.

See http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/06/01/1715247.shtml and http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/01 ... nter_fire/

Now the IP for the NC forum server is 207.44.240.38 - and if you do an IP lookup here you will see the IP resolves to The Planet who host's the NC forums, which is based in... Houston Texas.

If my detective work is correct - here is the latest status of the datacenter - http://service-update.theplanet.com/

If this is the case, then it's clearly not KK's fault, and they have been dam unlucky to be hit by issues outside their control in a space of 2 weeks.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Biglines » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:16 am

hmm, you sure, cause if i log to the neocron forums, they are on a .de domain, which would seem strange if they are hosted from a different country than both KK and the domain?
Biglines
THN nib

Postby Brammers » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:30 am

Biglines wrote:hmm, you sure, cause if i log to the neocron forums, they are on a .de domain, which would seem strange if they are hosted from a different country than both KK and the domain?

It does look a bit strange, but you can point a domain name to resolve to any IP address in the world.

I could move the THN server from London to Australia, and all I would do is point the www.techhaven.org address to the new IP, and you would not even spot the change.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby joemud » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:54 am

well if it all gets fixed then ill try the game,

I quit NC1 right as the dome of york thing was in the works,then i came back after finding my disks stashed away in a dusty closet and played NC2 for a month and there wasnt even a quater of the players that used to be on nc1.

So I got bored and quit,now yesterday I did a web search for mmofps and found NC2.2 on a list and looked and BAM free trail so im like hellz to the motha f'en yeah,thinking new version/free trail=more players better support.

its been 8 hours since i sent an email to the account people,i'm about to call it a day and check my email when I get up,no response=back to shoebox shooters

damn this is maken me sick :(
joemud
THN nib

Postby Nidhogg » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:47 am

Yep, sorry guys. A transformer blew up and took the forum hamster with it. This is unrelated to the PayPal issue which we're still working through with them (all looks to be ok on our side). The servers are all up and running without problems.

I hope these things don't come in threes...

N
Nick "Nidhogg" Milner
Community Liaison

R E A K K T O R . C O M
A Division of 10tacle Studios AG
Nidhogg
THN nib

Next

Return to Tech Haven Sector 2