Forums

French Onion Soup

All offtopic discussion about anything you like including real world events, entertainment and other games.

Moderator: Tech Haven Network - Moderator team

French Onion Soup

Postby Abeyance » Wed May 23, 2007 8:41 am

Well while I haven't been in Neocron I've been using my spare time to (a) find a new job and (b) experiment with other stuff (music, etc). Well this recipe is something I've come up for food, since I've got no money and need to eat cheap...

You will need

2 Sachets of French Onion Soup mix, if you can't get them, do what I did and use 2 boxes (8 sachets) of Ainsley Harriots' French Onion Cup of Soup mixes, and strain out the croutons.

[Edited- Please see the THN Forum rules]

Bag of potatos

6 small turnips, or 2 large ones

Bag of carrots

Seasonings of your choice

One whole cabbage

Instructions

First of all, put the soup mix into a large pan along with the [Edit], put in 8 cups of water, stir well and bring to a steady boil on a high heat. Once it begins to boil turn down to a low heat.

Cut up (and skin if you like) into medium sized 'bite size' peices, cubed, and wash off any starch.

Do the same with the carrots, cutting into slices, for large carrots cut into slices and then half the size of the slices. (Cut off both ends)

Quarter up the turnips, again skinning if you wish. (Cut off both the top and the bottom though)

Put all the ingrediants into the pan, the water/soup mix should completly cover all of the ingrediants with enough room at the top to place the cabbage on. Don't worry about covering the cabbage with water as you'll be steaming it as everything else cooks.

Turn up the heat to low-medium. Give everything that's already in the pan a good stir, add salt/pepper/basil/etc if you wish. I usually add a tea spoon of pepper and a tea spoon of salt.

Cut the cabbage up into cubes and place it on top of everything else in the pan.

Place the lid on top of the pan, this will keep the heat in to cook everything, and the steam in to cook the cabbage.

Leave the pan on low-medium heat for 1 hour 20 minutes, dont worry about overcooking it, it can't happen, however it needs to slow cook as it is a stew and the flavours won't work properly if you try and cook it any faster.

---

Now a word of warning, because of the amount of time you spend cooking this, even after you take it off the heat it will be very very hot, lastnight I had mine off the heat for 3 hours with the lid still on and it was still warm when I was eating it.

Enjoy :)

[Edited by Bram - Please see your PM's]
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:36 am

Didn't realise I was breaking rules by posting receipes :p
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Pantho » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:04 am

Recipes against rules? errr what
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:14 am

Hehe pantho - no need to mind boggle too much, I've noticed which parts have been removed
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Pantho » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:33 am

My mind is still boggling :p
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:35 am

It had illegal ingredients in it, thats why it was edited, I just never got a PM heh
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Pantho » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:43 am

rofl...

Shrooms? Hash? lol

Posting drug recipes on forums eh....
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:44 am

I was high when I posted it, :P
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Pantho » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:47 am

On the soup? :p
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:48 am

absolutely!
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Return to Tech Haven Sector 3 - Flatline Café