Forums

New web address (URL) for the forums - Sat 16th Sept

For all discussion about the Neocron 2 world.

Moderator: Tech Haven Network - Moderator team

New web address (URL) for the forums - Sat 16th Sept

Postby Brammers » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:17 am

On Saturday 16th September 2006 the URL for the forums will be changing from http://www.techhaven.org/forum to http://forum.techhaven.org To allow a smooth transistion the forums will be offline during the move from between 09:00GMT to 18:00GMT

Why is the URL changing?

It's mainly to allow some of the code that runs the THN to be seperated. There is about 1,000+ files and 3 major peices of software that run the THN which isn't the easiest thing in the world to track.

In the future, the forum will be upgraded to a completely new version of software. (Either phpBB3 or SMF 1.1, but this has not been finalised yet.)

Will you delete any old accounts?

It is planned to remove about 150 accounts that have not been activated. Most of these are spambots, so we wont miss them anyway. ;)

What about my autologin?

Some users have the "Log me on automatically each visit" option enabled. This should work as normal, when the URL changes, but there is the chance that it wont, so make sure your email address is upto date and you know your password.

What about the Rares DB?

The Rares DB will be available as normal during the upgrade.

Will the old URL still work?

For the first few weeks, either a webpage or redirect will be put in to point users to the new location, however this is yet to be finalised.

I have a question...

Please reply to this thread.

Brammers - THN Admin
Last edited by Brammers on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Clan: Phoenix Ltd
Faction: Fallen Angels

Postby Brammers » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:27 pm

The forums have been moved. If there are any problems please reply to this thread.

Also if you type the old URL, you should be automatically redirected to the new URL
Brammers - THN Admin & CEO Phoenix Ltd.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Pantho » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:39 am

NOO I Dont get a icon in my Favs for the new URL lol.... Just teh blank thing
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Brammers » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:06 am

pantho wrote:NOO I Dont get a icon in my Favs for the new URL lol.... Just teh blank thing

Ok fixed, also the favicon, and also fixed and tweaked the live bookmarks feed. (It was pointing to the wrong location) Opening 15 pages in tab mode in Firefox was a bit much, so I've reduced it down to 8!
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Brammers » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:20 am

Ok here is a question for the Firefox users.

When you open 8 tabs at once, it puts the title in the tab, like "Tech Haven Network :: View Forum - Tech Haven Network Notices" which is way too long.

So is there a HTML tag that you can put a shorter title in (Like: "THN: Tech Haven Network Notices" in the tab and keep the longer title in the title bar?
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Pantho » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:22 am

no idea but Thx for the icon :p
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Brammers » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:07 am

Since this move is complete, I've moved the thread to the Sector 3 Cafe
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Darkana » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:13 pm

Brammers wrote:Ok here is a question for the Firefox users.

When you open 8 tabs at once, it puts the title in the tab, like "Tech Haven Network :: View Forum - Tech Haven Network Notices" which is way too long.

So is there a HTML tag that you can put a shorter title in (Like: "THN: Tech Haven Network Notices" in the tab and keep the longer title in the title bar?

Tab Mix Plus helps you a bit with your tabs, but I'm not aware of HTML tags to give you a shorter title for bookmarks/tabs.
Hmmmm! Lycheeeee!
Darkana
THN Visitor

Postby Brammers » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:20 pm

Darkana wrote:Tab Mix Plus helps you a bit with your tabs, but I'm not aware of HTML tags to give you a shorter title for bookmarks/tabs.

Welcome to the THN Darkana!

I couldn't find an HTML tag that gave a short titles for a bookmark tag. Maybe a bit of Javascript may be able to sort that out, or mayabe a meta tag...*Hits Google search*
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Darkana » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:27 pm

Brammers wrote:Welcome to the THN Darkana!

Thanks Brammers :)

I couldn't find an HTML tag that gave a short titles for a bookmark tag. Maybe a bit of Javascript may be able to sort that out, or mayabe a meta tag...*Hits Google search*

I could imagine a feature like this popping up at some point (especially with Microsoft on the tabbed browsing bandwagon). However, without proper tags a web page should never be able to change something outside of it's sandbox, which includes putting names on the tabs of the browser.

A possibility is to write a Firefox extension, which checks pages for a specific meta tag, and setting the tab name accordingly. That will be Firefox specific, though (unless you are able to write similar extensions for other browsers).

Oh well, stupid computer stuff sometimes ... makes you :'-( :crazy: :banghead:
Hmmmm! Lycheeeee!
Darkana
THN Visitor

Return to Tech Haven Sector 2