Forums

Latest Neocron News and Information

Redmine

All offtopic discussion about anything you like including real world events, entertainment and other games.

Moderator: Tech Haven Network - Moderator team

Redmine

Postby Brammers » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:19 pm

I bet the title has got your wondering.

Ever since I've been using subversion as my choice of source control, I've also used Trac to help keep track of all the jobs and information I need to do for any of my projects. Trust me, without Trac the THN code would be a complete mess and very buggy. ;)

I've come across a new management tool called Redmine that functions in an almost identical way, and seems to be as feature complete as Trac. The only difference being is, that it's coded in Ruby, rather than Python. Also it seems to have better support for multiple repositries than Trac. (And also I can migrate my old Trac data across)

My question is, has anyone used Redmine at all? (If you have used, please tell me what you think of it)
Brammers - THN Admin & CEO Phoenix Ltd.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Clan: Phoenix Ltd
Faction: Fallen Angels

Postby Darkana » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:05 pm

The only tools I know in this regard are Mantis and JIRA. Mantis seems ok-ish, and while at least the "intro"-screen of Redmine reminded me a bit on it, Redmine looks more compact and has a good deal more features. JIRA, on the other hand, aside of the licensing problems, is really nice, especially once you use it together with other stuff from the same company.

Anyway, Redmine, at least the sandbox demo, has a nice compact look'n'feel to it, and it seems to cover the important stuff you need. What you really should look into are the SVN hooks, so you know which commit relates to which issue. Another thing you might be interested in is the Eclipse Mylyn support for Redmine, if you are using Eclipse as a development platform, that is.

As I haven't worked with either Trac nor Redmine I can't really tell you which one is better. Best you make a list of features you need for your stuff, maybe add another list of features you may want to use in the future and then decide if you switch or not :)
Hmmmm! Lycheeeee!
Darkana
THN Visitor

Postby Brammers » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:08 pm

Hmm...the subversion hooks are a big issue for me. I've got my reposity setup so you cannot commit without a open ticket id, and it's nice to know what changes I've commited relate to what issue.

It does appear that Redmine supports ticket linking, and with a bit of hook scripting it can be made for the subversion hooks to inform Redmine that a commit has taken place.

As for Eclipse (Which I do use for development) Mylyn is a bonus although not necessary, as I find too many plugins slow eclipse right down, although thats probably me connecting to the samba share of the virtual PC.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Brammers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:12 am

Ok for some feedback on Redmine. I've installed a copy on my subversion server, and gave it a try. Verdict so far, not bad except for a couple of issues.

1. The repositry browser, although very nice and flashy when using AJAX, it forgets where you are repositry if you goto view differences on a file, and then click back.

2. If you import from more that one Trac database, all the ticket numbers get re-numbered for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th import. The problem comes when you view a subversion commit entry, and click on the link to the ticket number...which takes you to the wrong ticket.

It's fixable, just means I'll have to run a script to update all the log entries in each subversion reposity.

3. You can't seem to view the contents of a file in the subversion repositry. I use this feature a lot to plan coding work or to check out something without having to start the virtual PC and eclipse, or do a svn checkout.

Number 3 is the big show stopper for me at this, but overall I'm impressed with it. I think when they add a file viewer, I'll most likely migrate from Trac to Redmine.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Brammers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Brammers wrote:3. You can't seem to view the contents of a file in the subversion repositry. I use this feature a lot to plan coding work or to check out something without having to start the virtual PC and eclipse, or do a svn checkout.

Ok, I take that back. Some file types can be view, just php isn't supported until the next release.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Brammers » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:07 am

/mod: Pantho - I've split your Co-lo questions into a new topic - See http://forum.techhaven.org/viewtopic.php?t=3004
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Abeyance » Thu May 29, 2008 7:55 am

I didn't realise that you were so organised when it came to coding, Pete...
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Tratos » Thu May 29, 2008 10:50 am

Abeyance wrote:I didn't realise that you were so organised when it came to coding, Pete...

I've said it before, i'll say it again.

He's a wizard
THN Administrator & Moderator
Tratos
THN Administrator

Postby Brammers » Thu May 29, 2008 11:45 am

Lol my name isn't Harry! :p

I'm still using Trac (With Subversion) atm, as Redmine is missing one or two minor things.

And without Trac or Subversion, the THN code would be a mess.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby StevenJ » Thu May 29, 2008 11:46 am

One thing I've noticed about Bram's programming...

He waits...

He thinks...

He waits...

He thinks...

He consults...

He waits...

He thinks...

Then springs into action on a bottle of wine, and by the morning new shiny things are available :p I think it's a kind of tantric programming :o
StevenJ
THN fan

Postby Brammers » Thu May 29, 2008 11:55 am

Shh....don't tell everyone the secret of my programming techniques! :P
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Delphi » Thu May 29, 2008 12:00 pm

Im sorry I actually lol'd at that :lol:
Delphi
THN Lead Wiki Administrator

Postby Abeyance » Fri May 30, 2008 8:24 am

Sounds like the programmers around here... we wait too. And then we go to the pub and never actually finish anything.
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Brammers » Fri May 30, 2008 8:23 pm

StevenJ wrote:One thing I've noticed about Bram's programming...

He waits...

He thinks...

I was thinking that this reminded me of something else the other day... now I know what it was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zff9hVH3ptY :lol:

...Good code comes to those who wait. :D
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Abeyance » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:19 am

lol
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Return to Tech Haven Sector 3 - Flatline Café