Forums

Forum updates and changes...

All offtopic discussion about anything you like including real world events, entertainment and other games.

Moderator: Tech Haven Network - Moderator team

Forum updates and changes...

Postby Brammers » Fri May 06, 2005 12:17 pm

Does anyone here use PHP Nuke at all?

Edit by Bram: Changed title...twice
Last edited by Brammers on Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Brammers - THN Admin & CEO Phoenix Ltd.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Clan: Phoenix Ltd
Faction: Fallen Angels

Postby Tratos » Fri May 06, 2005 2:59 pm

I have used it in the past but not for a while, how come?

Q
THN Administrator & Moderator
Tratos
THN Administrator

Postby Brammers » Fri May 06, 2005 4:49 pm

The THN will be on a new more powerful server within about a month, and I'm already thinking of ways to take advantage of the extra processing power and bandwidth.

I'm thinking of changing the THN to PHP Nuke. But I'm not going to do that, unless I can import all the current forum data, and the forum it uses is fiarly upto date.

So how easy have you found it to use?
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Tratos » Fri May 06, 2005 6:16 pm

It was fairly easy to use although i didnt use it extensivly, just did more the basic stuff and some configuration but still simple, the forum stuff should go across no bother as PHPNuke uses the phpBB forum software anyway, heh

Q
Tratos
THN Administrator

Postby Morpheous » Fri May 06, 2005 7:23 pm

Yeah, fairly decent software. I stopped using it because I moved all of my main forums to InvisionBoard, and there's a fairly wide range of portal systems available for that.
Morpheous
THN Addicted

Postby Download » Mon May 09, 2005 7:06 pm

Brammer.. Plz for the sake of your sanity and remaining UNIQUE.. Don't use PHP-Nuke.

I'm sorry, PHP-Nuke is complete and utter crap. I used it YEARS ago as a means for a portal, and now its the standard for all web-portals out there. (w00.. So unique)

My points are this:
1) PHP-Nuke is a rip-off of the Slash code (Slashdot.org portal application), which was designed in PERL. The Slash code is very robust, but unfortunately requires the use of the Apache PERL module. And don't get me wrong, I love PHP. But PHP-Nuke coding is very amateur and not as tight as coding could be done, which leads to holes, bugs and a slow-responding application.

2) The biggest problem though, is that PHP-Nuke is so insecure, that its cracked / exploited on a monthly basis. So, if you are up for the challenge of keeping your site on continous patching mode, or wanna set up a honey-pot.. Go ahead and use it.

The biggest problem with PHP-Nuke overall, is that they blew it all up to be this big badass of a web-portal app, but its gotten too big and bloated. Also, it goes back to the point about it being cracked/exploited monthly, due to the holes in one or many components that gets missed.

I'm sure with people here, that you could design your content portal similar to the layout of PHP-Nuke if ya want. There is enough talent on this board to help put all the pieces of the puzzle together.
-= D 0 W N L 0 4 D =-

One of the last of the Pure-Blood Pluto Fallen Angels.
Download
THN User

Postby Brammers » Tue May 24, 2005 2:27 pm

Cheers Donwload for reminding me the one reason that I forgot was bad about PHP Nuke - insecure code, and I don't like it's closed source policy.

So Nuke is out, and I'm now looking at Mambo http://www.mamboserver.com/

What I'm planning is changing the front page to be a lot more useful. (Lets face it, the logo was great for it's day, but I think it's outlived purpose.)

What I like to add is vital information as patch notes, FA events, and links to FA clans etc. What won't go there is weapon lists, recycling stuff etc. I'll leave that to the excellent http://nc.synergyxr.net wesbite.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby [TgR]KILLER » Tue May 24, 2005 3:16 pm

Brammers wrote:What I'm planning is changing the front page to be a lot more useful. (Lets face it, the logo was great for it's day, but I think it's outlived purpose.)

the logo is still up ? :p never see the logo tbh. only a very few times i visit the thn on another comp then my own but on my game comp and on my laptop the forum is start page + also in my fav.
[TgR]KILLER
THN Whore

Postby Tratos » Tue May 24, 2005 5:27 pm

Brammers wrote:What I'm planning is changing the front page to be a lot more useful. (Lets face it, the logo was great for it's day, but I think it's outlived purpose.)

What I like to add is vital information as patch notes, FA events, and links to FA clans etc. What won't go there is weapon lists, recycling stuff etc. I'll leave that to the excellent http://nc.synergyxr.net wesbite.

Sounds like a plan to me, good ideas, also Mambo from what i heard is quite nice to use but havnt done so myself.
Tratos
THN Administrator

Postby Brammers » Tue May 31, 2005 8:44 pm

Ok, for those who have noticed...I've been fidling. :)

Since the main bar was getting a bit long, I've move some of the links up to the top right. So what you all think?

Also the Gallery is back! I'm still playing around with the style sheet thats needed for Gallery, so it's not perfect. Anyone want an album for their screenshots, just PM me.

Finally, I've been playing around with Mambo on the THN dev box. It looks very good, and I belive it will suit the future needs for the THN.

What I'm not decided on is how to authenicate users on Mambo. Current the phpBB forum system is the central login for the Gallert, Forum and the Rares DB. Ideally I want Mambo to use the phpBB user tables, but I've yet to find a suitable mod for Mambo that talks to phpBB. (If anyone finds one, please post here)
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby HusK » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:26 am

Noticing a small bug in the scaleble top banner - in this topic it nog longer scales entirely to the right, it does however in the reply screen, think it has something to do with pictures and signatures in the posts but it also smells like a loose table to the right...

another small one, there is a small white part in the left picture beside the home button.

mambo looks nice, hope we find a way to let it use the existing user base. might not even be _to_ difficult to change all files concerning user login info, depending on what tables it uses for its own system, what they are named like and how they store passwords... couldn't find any scripts either so far, but haven't put to much time in it either.
Tech Haven Network - Former Lead Moderator / Former co-administrator
HusK
THN Whore

Postby Download » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:35 pm

Brammers wrote:Ok, for those who have noticed...I've been fidling. :)

Since the main bar was getting a bit long, I've move some of the links up to the top right. So what you all think?

Also the Gallery is back! I'm still playing around with the style sheet thats needed for Gallery, so it's not perfect. Anyone want an album for their screenshots, just PM me.

Finally, I've been playing around with Mambo on the THN dev box. It looks very good, and I belive it will suit the future needs for the THN.

What I'm not decided on is how to authenicate users on Mambo. Current the phpBB forum system is the central login for the Gallert, Forum and the Rares DB. Ideally I want Mambo to use the phpBB user tables, but I've yet to find a suitable mod for Mambo that talks to phpBB. (If anyone finds one, please post here)

Brammers, check this out:

http://mamboforge.net/projects/mosplus/

Or

http://mamboforge.net/search/ (use phpBB as your search term)

Cheers
-= D 0 W N L 0 4 D =-

One of the last of the Pure-Blood Pluto Fallen Angels.
Download
THN User

Postby Brammers » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:50 pm

HusK wrote:Noticing a small bug in the scaleble top banner - in this topic it nog longer scales entirely to the right, it does however in the reply screen, think it has something to do with pictures and signatures in the posts but it also smells like a loose table to the right...

Hmm founf it..probably is a stray table, there are so many tables within tables here.

HusK wrote:another small one, there is a small white part in the left picture beside the home button.

I see what you mean, debating whether to change it to black or not. I'll try it and see.

Download wrote:Brammers, check this out:

http://mamboforge.net/projects/mosplus/

Or

http://mamboforge.net/search/ (use phpBB as your search term)

Cheers

Nice work Download. :) I'll check those out later.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby Brammers » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:57 pm

HusK wrote:Noticing a small bug in the scaleble top banner - in this topic it nog longer scales entirely to the right, it does however in the reply screen, think it has something to do with pictures and signatures in the posts but it also smells like a loose table to the right...

another small one, there is a small white part in the left picture beside the home button.

mambo looks nice, hope we find a way to let it use the existing user base. might not even be _to_ difficult to change all files concerning user login info, depending on what tables it uses for its own system, what they are named like and how they store passwords... couldn't find any scripts either so far, but haven't put to much time in it either.

Not quite a table problem, but adding a table on the outside of the tables fixed the pro0blems with the tables not keeping their table widths, within their nested tables. (Still with me...ok the simple version...it's fixed! 8) )

Also changed outline to black, and yes I agree it does look better, unless anyone thinks otherwise.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Postby HusK » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:58 am

*cheers* as always brammers, all solved.
Tech Haven Network - Former Lead Moderator / Former co-administrator
HusK
THN Whore

Next

Return to Tech Haven Sector 3 - Flatline Café