Forums

Latest Neocron News and Information

Patching problems?

For all discussion about the Neocron 2 world.

Moderator: Tech Haven Network - Moderator team

Patching problems?

Postby dxdefender » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:25 pm

ive been wanting to get into NC again for awhile now, but after downloading the client it wont patch..

im getting an error:
'Patching to 159.'
ERROR: Couldnt open: client.exe, possibly write protected patching failed

Anyone ever see this before?
taking the error literally i went and checked permissions on the launcher but it was set as it should be.

And since the NC forums are down i couldnt go there to check for the same issue.
dxdefender
THN nib

Postby [TgR]KILLER » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Isn't the patch folder set on read only ?

There are places to manualy download the patches tho. Don't ask me were can't remember do a forum search here / on offi forums and you should find it.
[TgR]KILLER
THN Whore

Postby Brammers » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:12 pm

...and which OS are you running?

I'm aware Vista has a few issues with NC - Check this thread if you are http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=140582
Brammers - THN Admin & CEO Phoenix Ltd.
Brammers
THN Lead Administrator

Clan: Phoenix Ltd
Faction: Fallen Angels

Postby dxdefender » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:02 am

i had no problems downloading the patches, the problem was once they started trying to extract and install.
ive done multiple searches on this forum aswell as google but havent found anyone else having this problem.

and im running windows 7
dxdefender
THN nib

Postby [TgR]KILLER » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:15 am

Windows 7 is still Beta right?... I guess there is your problem :P Maybe ask on the offi forums if anybody else got it working on W7.

I'm running Vista without problems..
[TgR]KILLER
THN Whore

Postby Logan Ford » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:14 pm

Vista did require the Right click run as Admin though for it to work. Windows 7 no idea
Logan Ford
THN Wiki Administrator

Postby Mantus » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:25 am

Just disable the UAC and all that crap and it will probably work (run > "services.msc" and read and disable the stuff you don't need). I can try to launch NC on my stationary when I get home. I'm running Windows 7 x64 on it. And then I'll post and tell you how it went.
Mantus
THN nib

Postby Tratos » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Even with UAC off you will get these issues with Windows 7.

You need to head into the \neocron2\ directly and in the right click -> properties -> security tab make sure that your user has Modify and Write access on all files. Also you will want to right click the Client.exe and in compatability change it to Windows XP Service Pack 2 so you get proper in game sound.

Don't set compatibility to SP3 or the client wont run (in my experience), which is odd.

The thread Bram has posted is a good resource as alot of these issues still occur under Win7 since it has most of Vista's security model.
THN Administrator & Moderator
Tratos
THN Administrator

Postby Mantus » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:53 am

I've tried running it on my stationary (windows 7 x64) with no trouble at all. Everying works as it should and I didn't need to modify any security or start it in compatibility mode.
As I mentioned I have disabled allot of the unnecessary "idiotic" safe measures that windows use now days and a few other stuff I don't need.
Mantus
THN nib

Postby Ressi » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:25 pm

I believe the patch dl site is

ftp://ftp.neocron.com/ and then retailpatches
Ressi Blade
Major General [CW-FA]
House DoY - Titan
Chairwoman Fallen Angels Terra + Mars
Recipient of the Faction Medal Lvl 3
Ressi
THN Supahfan

Clan: Defenders of York
Faction: Fallen Angels

Postby LiL T » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:54 am

If you get this problem in windows7 try rebooting first, if that does not work try installing to the root of the drive C:\neocron installing to the program files folder has some problems with older games.

If none of that works, then you need to take ownership of the folder...

Right click -> properties -> security -> advanced -> owner -> edit

Then you either add your username you use to log into your windows machine by clicking other users or groups or select it in the list, then check the box replace owner on subcontainers and objects. Then click apply and it will do its thing, you then need to back completely out of it as it will tell you and enter the properties of the folder again and change the read and write permissions for your user name.
LiL T
THN nib

Postby Abeyance » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:50 pm

There is a known issue with permissions applied to the %systemdrive% not being set correctly. This was fixed under a KB hot fix (through Windows update). Failing that, run it as an administrator.
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby flib » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:07 pm

[TgR]KILLER wrote:Windows 7 is still Beta right?... I guess there is your problem :P
Wrong. It's been in release candidate for a while now. It's been pretty stable since beta anyways too. :P

As Lil T said, it is important that the Neocron folder is not inside the Programs Files folder. Windows doesn't like programs writing to themselves.
flib
THN fan

Postby Abeyance » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:00 pm

Windows 7 is awesome, incidentally I had no problems at all installing Neocron on either of my Windows 7 machines...
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Return to Tech Haven Sector 2