Forums

Latest Neocron News and Information

i'm so confused

For all discussion about the Neocron 2 world.

Moderator: Tech Haven Network - Moderator team

i'm so confused

Postby Arkham » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:02 am

So I'm a noob. I did the starting quest that that Mr. Jones dude outside my apartment gave me ... and now I don't know what to do. I went to my faction headquarters (biotech) like the e-mail told me to, but the dude at the front would only give me delivery quests that give like no xp, and everyone talked to me like I wasn't even a part of the faction.

Eventually I found the "human resources" dude, but he said he didn't have any "more" quests for me until I hit level 10. I don't even know what level I am, I can't find it anywhere. Is it just based on your highest level attribute?

Also, should I even be trying to do quests? Or is this just one of those games where you go out and grind for ever and ever? I've tried to find information on the website and forums, but half of the stuff seems to be from three years ago, and all of it is too advanced for me to really comprehend yet.

Basically: Is there a step-by-step beginners guide somewhere?
Arkham
THN nib

Postby StevenJ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:13 am

Whilst I can't think of a step-by-step beginner's guide (the NC wiki - http://wiki.techhaven.org has a plan for one), you should head to the citycoms that are located around the place (hit F9 and select Utilities, CityCom Station iirc, I'm at work just now)

Choose an missions, then select your faction and a difficulty level. Experiment with a few different types of mission (unless you are a researcher or constructor, I wouldn't take the res.const missions) to get to grips with the city and area around it. You'll find that most of the very easy and easy missions send you into the sewers to kill things, they're scattered all over the city. Play around with those until you get the feel of things.

NC has a very steep learning curve, but is very rewarding if you stick it out - good luck :p
StevenJ
THN fan

Postby Delphi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:27 am

StevenJ wrote:Whilst I can't think of a step-by-step beginner's guide (the NC wiki - http://wiki.techhaven.org has a plan for one), you should head to the citycoms that are located around the place (hit F9 and select Utilities, CityCom Station iirc, I'm at work just now)

Choose an missions, then select your faction and a difficulty level. Experiment with a few different types of mission (unless you are a researcher or constructor, I wouldn't take the res.const missions) to get to grips with the city and area around it. You'll find that most of the very easy and easy missions send you into the sewers to kill things, they're scattered all over the city. Play around with those until you get the feel of things.

NC has a very steep learning curve, but is very rewarding if you stick it out - good luck :p

Indeed we as the wiki have plans for a nice comprehensive new user walkthrough - the manual that should have been ;) Unfortunately for the moment you will have to stick with asking questions both here, and in game on the HELP> channel!

You can find out your current skill rank on the skills tab, F4 iirc although probably dont, and you will see at the top there are two numbers in the form XX/YY. XX is the combat rank, which is influenced by the subskill points you put into combat orientated subskills, and also the weapon you are using. YY is your skill rank, this goes up as your main skills increase, so to do your next mission you need to have a XX rank of 10 or higher.

I would recommend trying to find some sewers and then killing some rats, its pretty fast to level to rank 10, then you can do the next part of your epic mission.

/Delphi
Delphi
THN Lead Wiki Administrator

Clan: Phoenix Ltd
Faction: Fallen Angels

Postby CMaster » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:38 am

As you seem to be gathering, missions are not an important part of gaining XP in Neocron - the bulk of experience comes from actually doing things.

Get out there, trying a few of the different types of sewers and basements in Neocron city, finding where is good to hunt. After you have found somewhere that suits you, then go and look to see if there are citycom missions (see above) for the mobs you are killing. If there aren't, then don't worry about it. You get the majority of xp for the actual kills.

Contrary to what is said above, I'd recommend avoiding rats. It's really dull in those sewers, and rats aren't that good xp. The Abandoned Basement level 1 and 2 in Pepper Park are in fact better. There is more colour, the mobs are higher level, yet they do less damage than the sewer creatures.
CMaster
THN fan

Postby Arkham » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:55 pm

Delphi wrote:You can find out your current skill rank on the skills tab, F4 iirc although probably dont, and you will see at the top there are two numbers in the form XX/YY. XX is the combat rank, which is influenced by the subskill points you put into combat orientated subskills, and also the weapon you are using. YY is your skill rank, this goes up as your main skills increase, so to do your next mission you need to have a XX rank of 10 or higher.
/Delphi

Ok, so I went and killed some mutants (they were kinda high level, the first two I killed gave me instant ability ups :D) and got my rank thing to 9/4. When I killed one more, it went to 0/5. I did some more grinding, got it to 10/5, then talked to the HR guy, and he still said he wouldn't have a mission for me till I was level 10.

I guess the second number is your level, and the first number is your progress through that level? I've only been increasing combat skills, no non-com yet at all, and yet both numbers have been increasing.
Arkham
THN nib

Postby Reaction » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:12 pm

The first number is your combat rank. It's a measure of how effective you are in combat and determines what level mobs you should be killing, how much loot/junk they drop and the amount of cash you are awarded with once you have defeated them.

And yes, the second number is your level.
Reaction
THN Wiki Administrator

Faction: Tangent Technologies

Postby Delphi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Arkham wrote:
Delphi wrote:You can find out your current skill rank on the skills tab, F4 iirc although probably dont, and you will see at the top there are two numbers in the form XX/YY. XX is the combat rank, which is influenced by the subskill points you put into combat orientated subskills, and also the weapon you are using. YY is your skill rank, this goes up as your main skills increase, so to do your next mission you need to have a XX rank of 10 or higher.
/Delphi

Ok, so I went and killed some mutants (they were kinda high level, the first two I killed gave me instant ability ups :D) and got my rank thing to 9/4. When I killed one more, it went to 0/5. I did some more grinding, got it to 10/5, then talked to the HR guy, and he still said he wouldn't have a mission for me till I was level 10.

I guess the second number is your level, and the first number is your progress through that level? I've only been increasing combat skills, no non-com yet at all, and yet both numbers have been increasing.

D'oh - having just re read the comment I posted I want to appologise (even us old members get things wrong sometimes :P). I meant to say it was your YY number that influences what missions you can take! If you have any more questions then ask away here and one of us will answer :)

/Delphi
Delphi
THN Lead Wiki Administrator

Clan: Phoenix Ltd
Faction: Fallen Angels

Postby Faid » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:08 pm

The first number in your **/** rank is your combat rank, as stated above, this rank will change as you level up and will change if you switch to different weapons and so on. The second number in the **/** rank is what is known as your overall rank, it is a cumualtive average of all your 5 skills: int, dex, str, con, psi.

Say you have 8 int, 9 dex, 5 str, 6 con, and 3 psi, your overall rank would equal 6 because thats the average of all 5 skills.
Faid
THN User

Postby MC5 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:00 pm

If i were to make say a pdf user guide (for new players) would i need permission to use various image's?

I.e. Pics of the f5 screen and whatnot
Propane 80/65*** WoC pistol pe (faction hopper :p)
Flammable 66/61*** WoC ppu (Crahn)
Disavowed 83/59 HC tank (PP atm)
Creme Egg 0/60 CST/REP spy (N.E.X.T) Member of N.U.T.A :angel:
Phosphorous 42/36* HC pe (PP atm)
MC5
THN nib

Return to Tech Haven Sector 2