Forums

Latest Neocron News and Information

Whether to play or not

For all discussion about the Neocron 2 world.

Moderator: Tech Haven Network - Moderator team

Whether to play or not

Postby shouravd » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:53 am

Hi,

I had heard about Neocron, and from what I have seen on the site etc. intrigues me. Would anyone care to give their comments on what they think are the good and bad points of Neocron? It would help me decide whether to start playing.

Other MMO's that I've played:

Star Wars Galaxies (My first)
Anarchy Online (haven't played in a while. Solid game)
WoW (yeck)
Curently playing: EVE Online
Humans live best when each has his place to stand, when each knows where he belongs in the scheme of things. Destroy the place and you destroy the person.
shouravd
THN nib

Postby monkeyboy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:43 pm

Well if you like many bugs,crashing,shitty netcode go for it. Neocron was a good game once apon a time.. now its falling to shit because the company wont do anything about the bugs and such.
monkeyboy
THN User

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:57 am

In all fairness - lets give it a proper review. Anybody who has played the game will back me up on this.

The game is incredible - one of the most original story lines ever. It also used to have a good atmosphere, when there were enough people playing to maintain it. The game is hard to get used to, the leveling and learning curve is pretty steep but at the end of it there are only a limited amount of things to do. The development team have been making promises for years to add new content and fix bugs - recently a few bugs have been fixed and the story line has been restarted so it's possible in the near future it could get better.

The are a few fundamental faults with the game - network code and game stability mainly. The game will randomly freeze and crash. Even on the most high end of computer systems you'll be lucky to get more than 70 fps. There are some people in game who're friendly but a lot of them will happily kill you while you're asking for help.

Provided you can use your initiative to learn everything yourself, either by using this website for the guides, or having thick skin and being able to tolerate the occasional abuse when you ask for help, then it's definitely worth a try. When I am in game I quite happily help anybody who is asking for help, for example.

The last thing to bare in mind is that there are very few new players in the game, but because of the linear leveling system it's easy to catch up. It takes a lot of time to level because it's not passive leveling. If you're not doing something in game then you won't get experience. The easiest way to play the game would be to start as Tangent Technologies and find an afterdark member - they're good people and will help you out when they're around.

All in conclusion, it's worth playing for the free trial. If you end up addicted by the end of the trial then go for it, if not, then just forget all about it. Neocron is one of those games that you either love or hate.
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Ressi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:58 pm

I agree with Abeyance u either love it or hate it

Also if u need any help contact me thru trade-nc chat and call for Ressi Blade or Little Sister ( I am very often on other runners, but always read that channel) :P
Ressi Blade
Major General [CW-FA]
House DoY - Titan
Chairwoman Fallen Angels Terra + Mars
Recipient of the Faction Medal Lvl 3
Ressi
THN Supahfan

Clan: Defenders of York
Faction: Fallen Angels

Postby monkeyboy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:32 pm

Abeyance wrote:In all fairness - lets give it a proper review. Anybody who has played the game will back me up on this.

<-- 6 year vet so i think i had played it a lil but thanks anyways.
monkeyboy
THN User

Postby Zheodaine » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:46 pm

I have been playing nc for err four years or so since NC1, I left due to serious bugs but that was my end not theirs alot of problems with NC is due to your isp and phone line connection to the game. Also as with everything programs and hardwear can have issues with it. Best idea is to play the 10 day free trial and get to know the game, if you bug alot and find it annoying then dont play, if you like it play it.
When your worlds crashing down like you've lost every round, stand your ground and ring the bells of freedom.
Zheodaine
THN Visitor

Postby Abeyance » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:37 am

monkeyboy, I wasn't doubting how long you'd played, but theres no point in giving a one line answer for a game like nc.

Regardless, I'm a 7 year vet
heh
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby CMaster » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:45 am

Release date(s) September 9, 2002
CMaster
THN fan

Postby monkeyboy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:58 pm

CMaster wrote:
Release date(s) September 9, 2002

Called beta nc started in 2000 (was private beta n such then public)
monkeyboy
THN User

Postby shouravd » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:46 pm

So I guess the general consensus is that it's quite buggy and crash prone, but I should atleast give the trial a try before I decide then?
Humans live best when each has his place to stand, when each knows where he belongs in the scheme of things. Destroy the place and you destroy the person.
shouravd
THN nib

Postby Ressi » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:50 am

Yes, u should.
After all u have a 10 trial period, so why not ?
Ressi Blade
Major General [CW-FA]
House DoY - Titan
Chairwoman Fallen Angels Terra + Mars
Recipient of the Faction Medal Lvl 3
Ressi
THN Supahfan

Clan: Defenders of York
Faction: Fallen Angels

Postby Purple Gurl » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:37 pm

Im new and love this game! its great! 8)
Purple Gurl
THN Visitor

Postby Abeyance » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:15 am

Cmaster, Neocron beta started running around 2000, the game has been in development since 1998 or so...
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Kanedax » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:03 pm

AD is good people, I'm better people tbh, but since I'm AD I think that makes me best people?
Kanedax: Lowtech Gentank Extraordinaire
The Chronic: Sexy PPU
Fred Astaire: Transgender Sniper
Brickhouse: Libra PE
I Need Money, Terminal Frost, Clit Commander, Brock Obama: The Cowboy Crew Trading Corp.
Mandingo: Future Hightech Tank
Mclovin: APU
Kanedax
THN Visitor

Postby Abeyance » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:18 am

I thought you left AD? :p

Or did you see the light and rejoin
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Next

Return to Tech Haven Sector 2