Forums

Updating my computer. Help tbh -

For all discussion about the Neocron 2 world.

Moderator: Tech Haven Network - Moderator team

Updating my computer. Help tbh -

Postby Pantho » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:41 am

Already own ->

E6600 Core2duo2.4ghz 4mbcache (p/c).
2gb ddr2 6400 corsair.
x1950pro 512mb ati card, forget exact issue... dual monitor etc etc supports w/e you want bla bla bla

Ok, so my gpu overheats alot, ive got the side off with a 6mm fan blowing on it, but this aint a permanent fix.. so this puppy.
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... uid=118268
My freind bought one, his current mobo temp: 19, cpu 8 (Extra cooling on cpu)... Thats with his fans on 0 -

So, seeing as my Sound sucks, onboard,im getting a new motherboad with it.

Also because my current motherboard doesnt support Overclocking. and my whole system can outperform my CPU atm.

Temp wont be a problem because of that oh so sexy case, another 2gb of ram should sort this out -

But i know fuck all about motherboards since the Socket a malarcky..

http://www.ebuyer.com <-- Use this website, and find me a motherboard that will overclock, support my components, and be reasonable price

(e6600 cpu = Socket 775).

-edit, Also £ does matter ^^
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Abeyance » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:38 am

You could go down this route;

Cheapest for overclocking with 6 channel on board sound...

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126187

However, it has a maximum frontside speed of 800mhz, so even with overclocking you will still eventually bottle neck there. However this one specifically states it supports native overclocking.

--

Now I know you said money mattered, but check this one out anyway;

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=458379

MSI is nVidia's motherboard brand so you know it's going to be high quality. This motherboard has an intel chipset on it, supports core duo 2, and has 7.1 surround sound. Not to mention gigabit ethernet support/

--

And this one is made by gigabit (another reasonable brand) and is a little cheaper than the last. Both of these two have higher FSB speeds so won't bottleneck so easily.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=448643

The gigabit one also supports overclocking too but the MSI board has no details regarding it so I'm not sure
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Abeyance » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:40 am

One last thing, I'm assuming you're aware your case doesn't come with a PSU?
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Pantho » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:58 am

Well when my system was dying i wasnt sure if it was GPU overheat or Power... So i bought a rather expensive £100 Corsair Modular one...

So thats not a problem
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Pantho » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:03 am

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... uid=124855
Product Description MSI 945P Neo3-F - motherboard - ATX - i945P?

hmm That the same one? I cant tell?

Its not, but its dam similar.

Need to find if that one supports Overclocking :(
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Pantho » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 am

Sorry for spamming :p -

Ok, second thoughts the one above only suppost max 5400ddr, defeats the object of me already having 6400 -

So looks like ill go with the £60 one, thats £220 total...

Not bad for 2gb ram, the case, the mobo i suppose
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Abeyance » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 am

Yeah... No point in bottlenecking some more
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Pantho » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:57 am

Last edited by Pantho on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Abeyance » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:01 am

They're huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

You could have at least downscaled them before posting them :P
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Pantho » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:08 am

^^

Hows that
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Abeyance » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:11 am

significantly better :P
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Delphi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:04 am

pantho did you buy the motherboard yet?

The one I am looking at specifically for overclocking the new 1333 MHz FSB Core 2 Duos is http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... subcat=565

It got a great review in Custom PC - which is a magazine that looks specifically at overclocking ;)

/Delphi
Delphi
THN Lead Wiki Administrator

Clan: Phoenix Ltd
Faction: Fallen Angels

Postby Abeyance » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:08 am

Might be a bit outside of his price range though... nice board though.

I'll be building a bunch of PCs in the next few months. Moving house and I need to build the following:

Media Center PC - For connecting to the TV, running Terminal services (for RDP from work) - lowspec system that needs to be able to decode divx/xvid and that's pretty much it.

New linux server - replacement for my current one. Needs to be high enough spec to handle everything I'd ever want to do with it (samba/nmbd, web serv, database serv, ftp, X windows for when I get bored, oddsock streamtranscoder, couple of shoutcasts, and the occasional gameserver for when I have people over and we're playing quake)

Current system does it but sits at a load of 2.0 on average when everything is running.

New production system. This has to be the absolute highest spec system I can afford with firewire for my external soundcard. Needs to be able to run a sequencer + 40 software synths with minimal latency for midi sync
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby CMaster » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:36 pm

I'd say having spent all that money on the processor, it would be silly o get a 945P chipset based motherboard - get a 965 or 975X
CMaster
THN fan

Postby Pantho » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:07 am

yes i did, and cmaster confused me
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Next

Return to Tech Haven Sector 2