Forums

Tokyo II

Character background? Made up storys? Ingame storys changed around into real storys? Well anything you got for public amusement!

Moderator: Tech Haven Network - Moderator team

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:52 am

Chapter 12: A Blast To The Past

After the initial tests for travelling back in time, I put some of my other work on hold. I was going to disappear for an unspecified amount of time and revisit a time in the past that I had missed. I was going to take my rail gun against Brammers’ orders and cause havoc. I set the date to just over 2 years ago. Before the attack on the Fallen Angels in their home at Tech Haven, before the Dome alliance, back when the Fallen Angels were welcome inside the Neocron city limits.

I had dressed for the occasion, this time I was going back for the fun of it. My first objective up on arrival was to make some friends, especially with a psionic empowered monk able to resurrect me in the case of my death. I set myself up a Gene Replicator profile, implanted myself with a new Gene Replicator implant, and then went and sat in Tech Haven sector 2. It had been a while since I had sat inside the blue walls of this place. It was exactly the same as I remembered but somehow different. The Gene Replicators were located where the shops are now located. I remembered that back in the old times, Tech Haven wasn’t a safe area to be in – attacks from Tangent employees occurred on a regular basis, and we had security bots. It had been a long time since the security bots had been switched off in the present. The door opened above me and a group of Tangent runners came running in. I stealthed. Cries throughout Tech Haven rang as the Tangent Employees were stopped in their tracks.

“What? Where the hell did she just disappear to?”

“She has some kind of stealthing technology… obviously.”

“How the fuck?”

“I’ve never seen any technology like that. AOE the area immediately; lets get her and steal it.”

One of the gentanks in the group pulled out a rocket launcher, so I made myself scarce. I jumped down into one of the energy cores, cleaned the room out and hid down there. A few minutes passed and I went back up on the main level. The Tangent employees were there making the lives of many miserable. I took the opportunity to send a warning shot.

“Haha, stupid Fallen Angels runners.”

“Theses bots suck, far too weak for …”

“For what?”

They turned around to find the remains of their colleague splattered up the wall.

“!!”

“Uh, lets get out of here”

He turned to make a move and got out of the first few doors, turned around to find the rest of his team. They weren’t there. He fled Tech Haven and got out of there quicker than I’d ever seen anybody move before.

I met up with somebody that I used to know – possibly in a previous life. They didn’t recognise me. Her name was Flyk Kinnison, and she was the leader of a clan back then called the Illuminati. The name Illuminati was later used by the Fallen Angels elite during some rough times later on – but at this point in time it was a small company of elite soldiers whose sole purpose was the protection of Tech Haven and its inhabitants. I took the opportunity to join up with the company – they had seen me in action and were curious to how I did it. Obviously I couldn’t tell them the facts, but they were happy with just having me around.

A few days past, and I’d generated enough cash to purchase myself a level 3 Tech Haven apartment. By this time various members of the Fallen Angels had got to know me. Fortunately for myself – at this time I had still been in the MC5 area in a recovery tube, under intensive care. Ergo nobody around here would have known my past self at this time. I introduced myself as Natalie Cockayne. I figured that I’d already got off ten kills using an unlicensed weapon, and that I should return to my own time to see what had changed because of this, and to take the opportunity to swap out my weapon with something a little more conventional.

I made a note of the date and time, so I could return at a later date, reactivated my hand held and a few seconds later woke up on the floor of my laboratory. My heart was pounding in my throat and I felt dizzy, however I hadn’t suffered any kind of a headache, and I definitely didn’t have a nose bleed. After further testing, I concluded the dizziness was caused by an inner ear imbalance during the transfer back to the future, and the heart pounding was good old fashioned adrenaline. Because I hadn’t interacted with myself in the past, or spoken to anybody who knew me in the past – I had essentially not changed the future. Those Tangent runners that died by my hand were confused, but there was nothing that they could have done about it. Inevitably, they would have been killed anyway at some point.
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:44 am

This story uses plot lines and text directly linked to http://forum.techhaven.org/viewtopic.php?t=2727, a story created by Pantho. All rights to these pieces of text belong to Pantho, I have requested permission to use them but not had a reply yet – if permission is denied this chapter may be removed in the future.

Chapter 13: The Big Yellow Ball

Brammers had called a meeting. While I had been in the past for a few weeks, I had returned to the future at the exact time and date I had left. For all intents and purposes I had never left. I met up with Brammers in one of Phoenix’s apartments in Tech Haven sector 1; the apartment had trophies are various shapes, sizes and value, with a table in the middle for meetings. We were discussing the on going relations with the city Tokyo II and its inhabitants; the Tokians. Brammers had a lot of friends, acquaintances, and contacts – that he developed over the years. One of these contacts was the leader of a secret society of City Mercenaries, calling themselves BYB – The protectors of the big yellow ball. I had heard of these people in the past but had never paid any significant attention. However, their leader was coming to this meeting with urgent news that Brammers thought I should be privileged to.

Along with various section 2 members, the leader of BYB known as ‘Pantho’ arrived and the meeting got underway.

“…it turned out that during a discussion I was having with Brammers, regarding the usage of our services for some mercenary work – well… In all honesty I needed to know all of the facts regarding your little project. We were originally going to be contracted to help you test your time machine. I was also let in on some information regarding Phoenix’s personal arrangement with the city of Tokyo II. I uh…”

He drifted off into silence for a second, as though he was thinking which words to use in which order. In the end he gave up, sighed, and pulled out a data cube.

“I think you ought to see this.” He handed me the data cube, I gave it a quick once over.

“It’s a data cube…”

“I know it’s a data cube, it’s not the data cube I want you to see. It’s the contents of the data cube.”

I plugged the cube into my wireless terminal to Nebuchadnezzar. It decoded the information and relayed it back. The message and video it contained was very disturbing.

“To all who read this,” my wireless echoed, “I am a traveler from Tokyo II, I feel I must warn you of an appending doom.”

“These documents are proof that Tokyo II is still alive and that they truly are living in peace and harmony, but there is a grave secret behind the peace.”

A variety of documents and other media began to load.

“Throughout these documents you will find a video of a room in the centre of a church; it is glowing like God himself had set it on fire. In the centre of this room a - Big Yellow Ball is floating; bobbing up and down in a constant flawless motion. “

What followed on this tape was simply more amazing than the ball itself; there were monks, dozens of monks, hurling GenTanks into this yellow ball. Every two days, like clockwork, they would throw another one in. The text documents stated that this is how Tokyo II sustains its power and feeds their wonderful world... by sacrificing Genetically Enhanced Tanks into the "Big Yellow Ball".

“The inhabitants of Tokyo II know that they are not able to maintain high populations of their fair city if they are to continue sacrificing it's citizens,” it continued, “After much research they discovered if they could find another Big Yellow Ball they could place it inside there own, causing the Big Yellow Ball to be increase its power more than tenfold. For as long as they all lived they believed this would not only give their ball enough power to survive indefinitely, but it could also spread the peace and fresh air to the western world as well.”

There was silence around the table. Pantho gestured to continue the message; “After much more reading the inhabitants of Tokyo II discovered that they would need to take this Big Yellow Ball by force, that the ancient monks in the Ceres war had placed another Big Yellow Ball inside Military Base, and hired the leaders of The City Mercs to protect this ball, to hide it, and even sacrifice their life for this ball.”

“There is far more information on that cube but I’ll let you go through it at your own steady pace,” Pantho informed us. “So now you see why I was alarmed. You’re allied to a culture of people that sacrifice their own; they’re a desperate people which is why they’re trying to close this deal for peace as quickly as possible. Once they have access to our cities they will come and go as they please. People will start disappearing. If they get access to the Big Yellow Ball we’re guarding in the deepest darkest depths of the Military Base, they’ll inevitably end up destroying the whole of mankind. Or at least what remains of it.”

“We have to take action. They’ve got far superior firepower on the ground in comparison to what we have, but we have our superiority,” said Brammers.

“This Ion weapon you were talking about?” said Pantho.

“Wait! WAIT!” I screamed, “We can’t just go on a killing spree because of a data cube from God knows how long ago. We’ve met these people, they seem friendly. I don’t see any reason at this stage in time to change that.”

“The best way to deal with this would be to confront them with the facts, if they don’t give a satisfactory answer; we terminate all communication with them.” Lifewaster – one of the section 2 directors - had made an appearance for the first time in quite a while.

“That wouldn’t work; they’ve got far greater technology than we do. If you remember my report, in the previous future they just appeared outside of Jeriko and destroyed the entire fortress in seconds.”

“I’ve read your report, you stopped them that time, there is nothing stopping you from doing it again. At the moment we’re sharing technologies with each other, while we’re learning a lot from them – they have more to gain from us. If we confront them now and get an answer out of them it could save us a lot of problems in the future. Even if they decide to attack us, this time we’ll be ready.”
currently: Malevolence (res), Nerisella (cst), Twinkle (hck), Maia (hc), Aimee (hck), Naisha (ppu)
previously: Abeyance (Phoenix), Naisha (Malevolent Crackheads), Twinkle (Technocracy), Angelika (Illuminati), flyL (Regulators)
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Pantho » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:16 am

ooc,

ok, no idea where you asked :p -

But you are more than welcome to use them :) -

(btw, StevenJ came up with some of my ByB plot, cant remember which was much rambling on msn :) )
Pantho
THN Uberaddict

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:25 am

flyL says:
Can I use the byb story btw?

:p
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:04 pm

Chapter 14: Politics

“You’re aware that we should probably inform the alliance about what we know,” I say to nobody in particular, hoping that somebody would just answer the question so that they can think about the problem while I concentrate on things that interest me.

“I’ve been thinking the same thing,” said Brammers, “It’s one thing keeping our own personal alliances to ourselves, but this has got implications far greater than you or I, or even Phoenix or the Fallen Angels for that matter. This has got implications that could affect or even prevent the course of history.”

“I want to see this yellow ball for myself. I was thinking of asking Pantho for access to the one at the Military Base but..”

“He won’t let you. He’s sworn under oath, as is the rest of the BYB Protectors. They’re not allowed to let anybody in or out. Not even they are allowed to see it. They monitor it’s presence but nothing more. They would die before you were allowed near it,” Brammers interjected. “I’m going to call a meeting, we need to inform the alliance of the information that we have found. Before anything else happens.”

“I’m going to go and check to see whether or not this ball exists, you’re welcome to come and watch while I check it out.”

“I’m going to pass this time, I need to get this meeting arranged, I need to send invitations out to everybody that will be attending. Take pictures of it and telemetry readings reporting its power input and output if possible. I also want the exact coordinates of its location. Write me a full report.”

Brammers left the room, heading back up to his office a troubled man. I left the room and headed back to the conference centre. At the conference centre everything was pretty normal. Before heading down to the lab I figured I’d just sit for a moment in the foyer and stare through the glass roof at the sky. I’ve read that in the ancient times people used to stare at the sky and see what objects they could see in the shapes of the clouds. It’s a funny concept I have to admit, but recently I’d found myself unbound from time, and just sitting down and staring at the sky was kind of relaxing.

While I was laying there a group of people entered the building. They were laughing and talking about nothing I could hear and just wandered straight past me and onto the reception, and then it was quiet again.

Eventually I gave up with my staring in to space and got up the motivation to make a move down to the laboratory. I jumped into my seat; this was turning into a bit of a habit now. I bought up a list of previous destinations, locked in, and launched.

“Destination locked: Time <no adjustment>, location ZR7.secK(-5)/117,42, synchronising…”

I scanned through Tokyo for any kind of power reading, nothing at all. With exception of the generators powering the force field there were no power fluctuations through at the city at all. So, thinking reasonably, I searched for solid objects with a volume of approximately 2 square metres. Nothing, perhaps it’s an ethereal mass. I scanned through various kinds of radiation – the usual, gamma, alpha, beta, still nothing. I was about ready to give up for the day and get some rest when I remembered – this is a floating yellow ball. If it’s floating it must be causing some kind of gravitational disturbance. I checked for such disturbances and located something in one of the few buildings that actually looked like it was old. Checking out inside this building caused a large amount of interference with the feed, building up gradually as I went through the building, peaking, and then dropping again. I didn’t find anything on the first floor and couldn’t see any obvious entry ways to a second or basement level so went back to the point where the peak occurred. Going up took me out of the roof of the building, going down took me into a catacomb of some kind, with – as the videos suggested, a big yellow ball.

The room was about 40 metres wide and 50 metres across. It was decorated with the same décor as everything else we had seen from the Tokians, so nothing out of the ordinary there. It had no lights, but was a very bright room. In the middle of the room, hovering above an altar was a ball. Unlike what I’d expect as a scientist, this ball had no dark spots or light spots where the light was greater or less, as it deflected off other surfaces. Normally when light hits something you’ll get shadows – this wasn’t the case here. It was a very solid yellow colour, with a minor field of glow around its outer edges. This ball defied gravity, it had a steady floating motion, rising, and then dropping – almost hypnotic. As I moved closer to the ball the image picked up even more interference, until I was within a few centimetres of it – and then the interference disappeared. It let off no sound, as a normal power source would, the room was completely silent.

I moved my view just a few centimetres further, so I was inside the ball – it was incredible. This ball was a self contained subatomic nuclear particle accelerator, and from the view of things, it was decaying rapidly. A reaction of this size scaled this small was incredible. Just then, the doors to the room opened, and in entered a group of monks followed by a gentank. I didn’t want to watch a person get thrown to their death, but at the same time I wanted to see what effect on the reaction adding live organic tissue would cause. The monks said a prayer, blessing the almighty big yellow ball, the tokians, and the well being the ball had on Tokyo’s society. At that point, the gentank willingly walked into the ball. The reaction decayed further. It appeared feeding organic tissue into the ball was actually decreasing the radioactive elements half life further, causing it to lose power. Why hadn’t they noticed it before now? Perhaps they had an ulterior motive?

I contacted Brammers and informed him of the situation immediately; he contacted Lifewaster; the section 2 director, and Pantho; the leader of ByB. They all arrived a few minutes later in my laboratory. After a short explanation to Lifewaster and Pantho about what my machine did, I continued to explain what I had seen, playing back video that I had recorded alongside scientific data regarding the reaction. We made the agreement to contact the Tokian council immediately and inform them.

A few hours later, I was watching Brammers and Lifewaster discussing the issues at hand with the Tokian leader. He seemed to be more concerned about how we knew, than what his people were doing to their power source. It was difficult to explain without telling them about our systems and our ability to monitor anything at any time, but after some reiteration and some assurances that we weren’t spying on them, they agreed to let us monitor their power source without human sacrifices for the time being. This caused a lot of unrest amongst their monks, who had been bought up believing that without sacrifice, all that Tokyo stood for would dissipate meaninglessly.

After a month without sacrifice the Tokian’s had noted that the force field surrounding their city had grown much much stronger. This aside, the Tokian leadership were still more interested in how we knew, a rather ungrateful gesture in our eyes. After all we’d prevented further decay of their power source and saved the lives of hundreds of their people. All in all I guess it’s all down to politics. The leader himself was happy that we’d helped but he was receiving outside critism for letting outsiders step foot on their holy grounds. As Sufism goes, they were respectful that we had been able to use science to further advance their race, and maintained trust with us because they were still alive.

It was all about that one unanswered question; how?
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:32 pm

Chapter 15: Pulling The Strings

We were discussing with the Neocron-Dome alliance members regarding the recent actions. Tangent Technologies were insisting that action be taken against the Fallen Angels for making an action such as this without consulting them before hand. Biotech, for the same of keeping up face against their sister company Tangent, were backing us for our initiative. City Administration; however… seemed to already know the facts. At first we thought that this was due to a leak internally, yet I knew everybody involved with the project and I also knew these people wouldn’t have any ties within the City Administration. I dismissed the idea for now.

The meeting ended, like any other, and we all dismissed ourselves and got on with our jobs. Brammers came upto me, looking a little more concerned than usual;

“Don’t you think it was a little strange that the City Administration representatives already knew about the Big Yellow Ball?”

“Brammers! Why do this to me, I just wanted to go down to the lab and fall asleep. Why bring it up! Why! Why!”

“Heh, well it’s kind of relevant. A lot of strange things have been happening with the City Administration recently; remember the whole ‘Reza has been assassinated’ mistake? Reza is still missing even though apparently he was there. Apparently he is ill. The job of managing the city has already been delegated, and they keep getting information that they’re not meant to have. How did they know about the sacrifices, about what the big yellow ball does?”

“Well I wish I could go back in time and check out the assassination of Reza, now that would have been one for the video collection. But you know the limitations – one month back, a few hours forward. That’s the way it works. It would take an immense amount of time and energy generation to even try and go further with any chance of returning.”

I went back to my laboratory and tuned into all official City Administration channels and phone conversations, starting the tedious task of finding out why they knew what they did. I wasn’t going to delve too deeply; in fact, all I really wanted was to go to sleep.

I was just starting to nod off when I heard;

“…give Reza my praise, all this time he’s been leading Tokyo as well as Neocron. That man truly has power. How is the plan to take the Military Base coming?”

I fell off my chair, hit the floor pretty hard. I played that conversation over and over again, just to make sure I wasn’t going crazy. Then I traced the call; the call was made from the City Administration headquarters via one of MY satellites to Tokyo city. The audacity of the whole thing! Reza had been dictating BOTH Neocron AND Tokyo. This would mean that the ‘assassination attempt’ had been staged so that he wouldn’t be missed. I called Brammers; he needed to hear this.

An hour later…

“WHAT? ARE YOU SERIOUS?”

The general of the Twilight Guardian smashed his hand against the desk. “I can ACCEPT the Fallen Angels developing technology capable of doing this without letting us know. I can ACCEPT Phoenix Ltd making an alliance with a technologically advanced faction without letting us know. But THIS? YOU are telling ME that Dictator Reza is in fact the dictator of Tokyo AS WELL? This is a call for war. We are calling for the resistance. Mark my words – THE REVOLUTION WILL BE TELEVISED. DOWN WITH REZA, FOR FREEDOM!”
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:46 pm

Chapter 16: Revolution

Twilight Guardian knows how to throw a revolution. It had been tried before, it had failed. This time however, they had the complete backing of all Dome of York factions. They were going to take the city sector by sector. Any resistance would result in their death. Anybody who fought by their sides would be forgiven for the actions of their faction. Before the revolution had even begun, NExT, Biotech, Protopharma, and Diamond Real Estate had already joined sides with the resistance. They believed that anybody pulling the strings behind their back constituted as a business risk. They had always commanded honesty within their allies. City Administration had defied this. As all resistance members turned up on the door way to Pepper Park, Tangent joined the resistance. They saw the business opportunity to supply the resistance with weapons, and the obvious financial bonus this would mean. They also knew that once the war against the City Administration had finished, the resistance would move on to Tokyo – the possibilities for financial advancement were immense.

Pepper Park came and fell in minutes. Black Dragon, Tsunami Syndicate, and Crahn having no problems taking the sectors by storm. Afterall, Pepper Park was their old stomping ground. This was their turf. Tangent and Protopharma took care of Viarosso. Tangent using their unique position to take control of the entire STORM and Copbot network in seconds. A pair of very highly trained Fallen Angels hackers disabled Reza’s Finest 44th Division. Everything else, as they say; is history. By the end of the day, City Administration were backed into the corner of Plaza 1 – their home ground. All they had left was their headquarters, and rather than waste time and ammunition, the City Mercs just blew up the entrance, sealing them inside. The night was filled with celebration. City Administration had fallen.

Reza’s apartment was raided by a professional cell of elite soldiers – The TERRAists. While there was nobody inside, it further backed up our findings that Reza had been controlling Tokyo for a very long time. It also bought up some more interesting information. Included in these findings were the facts that Reza wasn’t entirely human anymore. Years of illness and cybernetic implants accompanied with parts of his brain being entirely replaced with electronics. This man was half cyborg. Plans were now made between the leaders of the new era to attack Tokyo city. The Twilight Guardian began settings up a new government in cooperation with all existing factions. The times were changing, and these were exciting times.

The Twilight Guardian insisted directly that the new government be a new kind of democracy. A candidate from each faction was selected, full comprehensive background checks were ran by the Fallen Angels. Once a board of leaders had been established, rules were made. In order for anything to happen there must be at least 75% of council board members in agreement with the action. There is no ultimate leader; the board shares the responsibility between them. Rather than all factions voting for these people, only the faction can vote for their factions representative, and each faction may only have one representative.

Tangent Technologies were instructed to start manufacturing weapons, NExT were instructed to design and manufacture more advanced vehicles, faster, strong vehicles. Everybody was playing their part in preparing for war…
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:47 pm

Chapter 17: Apocalypse

Flying across the wastelands, past Tech Haven, past the Military base, and onwards over the mid world ocean. A storm was coming, armies across the lands were mobilising. The City Mercs hadn’t done training outdoors in a very long time. The Fallen Angels, a pacifist people, were testing a new breed of glider. As we finish passing over the mid world ocean, the abomination of what was coming became truly apparent.

Where once there was peace, there were fields of armour. Tanks, with top mounted rail guns. Hovercrafts with duel weaponry; mounted machine guns for anti personnel, and rocket launchers for anti vehicle. Air to air defence systems based upon the ancient fighter jet design. These people were preparing for a war. Their tanks moved faster than ours, they were significantly more agile. Ground troops with rail guns, ground troops with rocket launchers, ground troops with another weapon I’d never seen before. I’d studied their weapon designs but this I had obviously omitted. Flying over this army we knew there was going to be trouble. This wasn’t an army to fight against the Neocron city. This was an army to dominate everybody. We finally got to the city of Tokyo, and there were still troops falling in line out of the city. What we saw next will remain with me until the grave. Appearing from nowhere along the side of this great army… mechanoids, obviously based on the warbot design but bigger. Piloted by humans inside, hundreds of them, maybe even thousands. Vast bipedal machines with glowing eyes and rocket launchers on each arm.

Back over to Neocron city, they were in the process of forifying their walls, missile launchers, plasma cannons, they were digging holes in the ground and setting traps. Electromagnetic pulse generators. Machine guns mounted on posts high off the ground. Hovering anti air batteries. STORM units en-mass lining up to the entrance to the subway, armies from the companies of Neocron filling the battlefield from here to the north of Jeriko. Lookouts and snipers as far north as Crest village.

Ever since the Tokians had terminated contact with us, Phoenix Ltd had been mass producing rail gun weaponry using my design for our employees and for strategic allies whom we would have trusted to the end of the world. ByB were equipped with rail gun cannons. We assisted our other Dome of York alliance members with enhanced versions of the Ceres Juggernaught Crossbow. We designed new vehicles based on the NExT rhino tank design, which hovered above the ground - kitted out with a triple slug rail gun mechanism that could strafe fire on multiple targets at the same time. New gliders had been designed with Electromagnetic bomb delivery systems so we could knock out their electronics before they got close enough to attack. North of the military base we had installed an advanced weapon locking system that sent pulses from their location deep underground, causing most of our weapons including our rail guns to lock – hoping it would have the same effect on their systems. The City Mercs had installed vast quantities of stun turrets to free them in place while plasma turrets designed for area of effect would bombard their location.

This had gone too far. All we wanted was peace, all they wanted was the Big Yellow Ball. In order to get it they would have to destroy us first, which as a consolation prize wouldn’t have mattered, since if they do get it – they would destroy all of mankind anyway. Lightening was pulsing out of the sky; the biggest storm in modern history was coming. It was raining so hard that it was bouncing off the ground. The apocalypse was coming, and everybody was ready.

Deep inside the conference centre I was in the laboratory. The Ion weapon was charged. I was watching the action, relaying information to command posts all over the world.

“This is Phoenix command post. I have a visual. They’re curr…”

Their entire army disappeared.

“… shit. They’ve just disappeared, tracking. Tracking…”

“What’s going on over there?” echoed a message from various members of various clans.

“Get ready they could appear anywhere at anytime.”

“This is Crest village, we have contact.”

“FIRE AT WILL,” came the cry over the radio from the Neocron city alliance commander. “Give them hell!”

By this time I’d relocked position over Crest Village.

“This is only a small portion of the forces. Deal with these while I find the rest.”

“This is Phoenix conference centre, main floor. We have an army outside.”

I switched camera view over the conference centre. There was the rest of the army standing outside, not doing anything.

“This is Phoenix command requesting immediate assistance outside the conference centre. If they take this building the war will be lost. I repeat the war will be lost.”

On a private channel, Brammers called out; “Naisha, charge the weapon. If necessary blow them all to hell. It would be better to die while killing them than to die from them using the weapon against us.”

“Come down to the lab, we’re shielded down here. If I have to launch the weapon now then we should survive.”

“It’s too late, they’re already invading the building, fire the weapon!”

I left my post and ran over to the lift, picked up my rail gun and went up to the main floor. Brammers was standing with his back against the wall, Lifewaster frantically casting heal and shelter buffs to keep him alive, “Get in the lift now! Both of you!”

As the lift door closed a rocket hit the lift doors, causing the lift to jolt down and start to fall. A few seconds later we hit the safety mechanism at the bottom of the lift shaft, causing a large jolt but not seriously injuring anybody. We jumped out and initialised the Ion weapon over the top of the conference centre. This automatically caused all of the security bulkheads to close to maintain the catacombs structural integrity. As the weapon fired, most of their army stealthed. After that, we couldn’t see anything. The interference from firing the weapon had disconnected us from the uplink.

I span around on my chair and started the reconnection process, we had radio due to that not going through the uplink but again, it was suffering from massive amounts of interference. During this time, I’m not quite sure what happened. By the time the system had come back online and the uplink had been restored, half of the map was desolate. Tech Haven had been destroyed, and all that was left was a smouldering hole.

“This *crackle* iltary Base *crackle*hiss* der at *fuzz* kup need bac *whirr* lp!”

“Destination locked: Time minus 10 minutes, location FA2.secF(07)/117,42, synchronising…”

We were back in time. Skipping frame by frame to see what the hell had just happened. A missile…

“Can we change the past?” Brammers said.

“Watch me.”

“Initiating device…

Beam type: EMP
Charging…”

“Target locked,” the computer announced, “launching electromagnetic pulse.”

On screen, the incoming missile disarmed, and fell to the ground. The explosion caused severe damage to a few nearby trees, but no damage to Tech Haven. We moved over to the Military Base, still the same timeframe. The armies of Tokyo were deploying themselves outside the Military Base and preparing to attack.

“Beam type: Ion multistream, select target(s)”

We entered 5 targets in a circle, to encapsulate the entire army. We set the beams to alternate location and draw a perfect, closing circle, around the whole of their army.

“Charging…”

“Target destroyed,” the computer announced. Seconds later a large burst of interference knocked out all of the equipment. Sparks were flying from the consoles, and everything went offline. I fell to the floor as my antigravity chair disengaged.

“What the hell just happened?” said Brammers.

“The charge required to fire the Ion weapon 5 times in succession must have overpowered the system. The previous attack on the conference centre must have knocked out the backup generators. It looks like the system is offline. We have to get it rebooted.”

By the time we had got the system back online, Neocron city had suffered extensive damage, the City Mercs had exploded charges at the entrance to bury themselves underground to prevent access to their yellow ball, Tech Haven had avoided attack due to us changing time, but was suffering from massive electrical system damage due to the EMP. Remains of the Tokyo army were all over the wastelands, severe damage caused from multiple detonations of the Ion weapon resulted in massive radiation readings from certain parts of the wastelands.

The war was over, we had prevailed. At what cost only time will tell. Reza’s dictatorship had fallen because of his ties with the city of Tokyo, and the Twilight Guardian were in the process of setting up a new democracy in the city of Neocron, cooperating with the cities major factions.
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Postby Abeyance » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:48 pm

This work has referenced the following sources:

Wikipedia © MediaWiki and Co
Neocron story line © Reakktor Media GMBH
Sections of the ByB story © Pantho, referenced from http://forum.techhaven.org/viewtopic.php?t=2727

21,221 words
120,886 characters inc spaces
Abeyance
THN Addicted

Previous

Return to Role Playing