Forums

Latest Neocron News and Information

XL-Story: The fall of Tech Haven

Character background? Made up storys? Ingame storys changed around into real storys? Well anything you got for public amusement!

Moderator: Tech Haven Network - Moderator team

Postby sanityislost » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:30 pm

ooc: daaaaaaaaamn nice one lisa very very sweet *runs off to work out the code*

SiL ..:..
ImageImage
forwardslashsetspaceneedunderscoremonkspaceone
sanityislost
THN Uberaddict

Postby Morpheous » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:29 am

Lisa Merlins wrote:OOC: Can you crack the code?

So Garyu69 has a message, and no-one can crack it...here it is in full.

Code: Select all
To: Garyu69
Sent: 23:15NST
Character set not found: Raw data stream.
110 01 010 1011 001   00 1   00 000   0100 00 000 01   010 0 100   10 01 00 0100 000   0000 0 0100 0110   00   01 11   1 010 01 0110 0110 0 100   00 10 000 00 100 0   110 010 01 0001 00 000   001 0110 0100 00 10 101
End of Steam.

So you fancy a Challenge? Who can crack the message? The first person to PM me, with the cracked message, and how it was encoded gets.

1. 200k in cash to any of your characters on Terra.
2. And a special painting of my nails exclusively to you with the colour of your choice, for your own pleasure!

The solution will be up in the next few parts so you have about a week. So get cracking everyone and take it easy!

OOC: ;)
My message
Morpheous
THN Addicted

Postby Lisa Merlins » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:05 am

Morpheous wrote:
My message

BTW the solutions have to be readable to me - I'm not going to go and crack your codes!

Some clues.

1. Pay attention to the spaces in the message.
2. There is a clue in chapter 1.

Good luck. If you wish to ask me a question you can, but the answer and question gets posted here.
Lisa Merlins
Phoenix Public Relations - Member of the 1st Paladin Order.

"Painiting all my nails purple"
Lisa Merlins
THN User

Postby garyu69 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:35 am

ooc: Great story, i wish i could get in game though :'(
garyu69
THN Supahfan

Chapter 13

Postby Katherine Mayer » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:01 pm

IC:

Katherine sat back in her chair and stared at the glowing screen in front of her with a certain sense of satisfaction. The boys at central had been running this code for eight hours so far and come up empty, but it had only taken her thirty minutes, and that was without special software. Sometimes getting your hands dirty really paid off.

Reaching across her desk, she picked up a phone and dialed the switchboard.

"Special Projects please.. Thanks. Hello? This is Mayer. I need a black box and support staff asap. No, hardline, not wireless, this box needs to be isolated. What? Right. KM07-CC595. Fifteen minutes? That's good enough for me."

With that, she hung up, and relaxed further in her seat. This was an opportunity she couldn't pass up.

OOC:

Heh. Heh. Heh. :twisted:
Katherine Mayer, Agent of the City Administration and the only runner to be awarded the Law Protector.

Serve the Public Trust.
Protect the Innocent.
Uphold the Law.
Katherine Mayer
THN Subscriber

Chapter 14

Postby Morpheous » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:32 am

OOC: Damnit, what font do you use on your browser? Verdana didn't support some of the characters in the decoded message (Or partly decoded) so I couldn't get it :(

IC:
Morpheous sat back and placed the makeshift device over his head.

He tapped a few keys, and slid down a faceplate.

Slowly a glowing reality of his world appeared. Streaks of blue interlaced with red and orange shadows of the programs he had written to defend the Haven's data. He had finally achieved his dream- access to computers in ways never before imagined. Suddenly there was a darkening of the scene, and blood-red lines streaked over the blue. There was a flash of light and...

He gasped at what he saw, and tried to find the recorder program on his terminal, but it was gone.

He flipped up the visor and breathed deeply.
Morpheous
THN Addicted

Postby Lisa Merlins » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:22 pm

OOC: Ok Katherine Mayer has decoded the message, shame on you Angels at not beating City Admin at code cracking! I'll admit her method of cracking it wasn't one I expecting to be used. (And I do like the very nice little RP story that goes with it.)

And Morph, the code is nothing to do with the font. The message is displaying correctly on Mozilla on Linux and IE. :) Just in case there is a font problem the message is as follows:-

110 01 010 1011 001   00 1   00 000   0100 00 000 01   010 0 100   10 01 00 0100 000   0000 0 0100 0110   00   01 11   1 010 01 0110 0110 0 100   00 10 000 00 100 0   110 010 01 0001 00 000   001 0110 0100 00 10 101

Cut and paste it into notepad, and take note of clue 1 above!
Lisa Merlins

Lisa Merlins
THN User

Postby Katherine Mayer » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:47 pm

Silly Fallen Angels confusing each other. You should ignore the version of the message Lisa just posted - it's missing something very important - spaces!
Katherine Mayer, Agent of the City Administration and the only runner to be awarded the Law Protector.

Serve the Public Trust.
Protect the Innocent.
Uphold the Law.
Katherine Mayer
THN Subscriber

Postby Lisa Merlins » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:10 pm

Katherine Mayer wrote:Silly Fallen Angels confusing each other. You should ignore the version of the message Lisa just posted - it's missing something very important - spaces!

ooc: Katherine is right - what works on one browser/os doesn't work on an other - sorrt about that. You should see a message above that has either 3 spaces or 1 space.
Lisa Merlins

Lisa Merlins
THN User

Postby Dr J Zoidberg » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:03 pm

can we have the next part please im hungry for story time again, keep it coming, this is better than everything, lisa i sujjest you become a RL novelist

top noch material
Dr J Zoidberg
THN Uberaddict

Postby Lisa Merlins » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:41 pm

zoid b wrote:can we have the next part please im hungry for story time again, keep it coming, this is better than everything, lisa i sujjest you become a RL novelist

top noch material

ooc: Got 3 or 4 more chapters coming maybe tonight or tomorrow, which includes how to crack the code.

And yes I have considered becoming a novelist. :)
Lisa Merlins

Lisa Merlins
THN User

Chapter 15: A walk in Tech Haven

Postby Lisa Merlins » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:20 pm

Sam and Max were bored. The two Twilight Guardian Gentanks were sat at Leroy’s bar in Techhaven Sector 2, drinking as much Cron 55 as possible. They was both trying to make the loudest burp as possible, when someone came in through the genrep. Both of them wish someone would hurry up and issue the “Big order” so they could see some action. Even an order from their leader Lore of Freedom Force telling them to go and raid somewhere would be just as welcomed.

Sam saw the Genrep briefly glow into life to re-assemble the atoms of a nearly arrived runner.

The nearly arrived City Admin spy stepped away from Genrep and looked around. He started making his away towards Leroy’s bar, when Sam turned around and burped loudly to make the spy stop dead in his tracks with a face of terror.

Sam stared at the spy for a few seconds, before tapping Max on the shoulder. Max looked around, and burped loudly as the spy flinched as if he was expecting Max’s loud burp to end his life.

Max got up, and side by side Sam and Max started to slowly approach the even more terrified spy.

“I can...can go to another bar...”, said the Spy in a voice of panic.

The two Gentanks continued to slowly approach the spy, who was trying to make a feeble attempt to step back towards the Genrep.

“Ok…I’ll buy you free drinks...just tell me what to do...just dont kill me”, the spy said in an almost begging voice.

The two Gentanks stopped and stood either side of the City Admin Spy. Sam, once again stared at the spy.

“I like to play a game with you”, Sam said continuing to stare into the eyes of the City Admin spy.

“A game, oh…I like games.”

“You are going to like this game.”,Whispered Max into the ear of the spy. Max opened his backpack and got out an odd looking rope. Max tied one end of the rope to the spy’s belt, and held the other end of the rope in his hand.

“Ok little spy.” Said Sam, “This rope that Max has tied to you is called a bungee rope. Now to win this game, you have to run with your little fast skinny legs to the genrep within 30 seconds.”

“And…and….err. what do I get if I win?”

Sam moved his face closer to the face of the spy. “You get to keep your life”

The colour of the spy’s face drained to a terrified white, and he started to run towards the genrep. The spy got halfway to the genrep and the bungee rope was already tense, and starting to stretch a little. But instead of stretching the rope, and running slowly towards the genrep, he started to run on the spot, unable to move. He started to run a little faster, and pull away, but the bungee rope was too strong and it started to pull him back. For a whole 10 seconds the spy just tried again to pull away, but he was pulled back again by the rope.

Sam and Max roared with laughter watching the spy trying to run for his life. Sam felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around to see Brammers glaring it him, with Husk standing besides him.

“Where can I find your leader Lore?”

“Erm…in the Fallen Angels Faction office Mr Brammers”, sounding like a guilty child caught red handed eating a bar of chocolate

Brammers turned and looked at Max. “And do I need to mention that the two of his members cannot follow the council laws of Tech Haven?”

Max let go of the rope.

“Arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!”, screamed the spy, as he went flying head first towards the genrep. There was a thonk as the spy hit the genrep, and the spy knocked himself out cold.

“No sir you don’t”, said Max very quickly.

Brammers looked closely at the two gentanks, when the genrep buzzed once again into life. A new runner stepped away, who Brammers immediately recognised.

“Mr Killer, welcome home”

“Greetings Mr Brammers Sir. Hey Husk!”

“Hiya laddy”, replied Husk.

[TgR]Killer checked his pain easer was loaded and ready. “What’s been going on, I’ve not been able to contact anyone in Tech haven for the last few days. And the word going around Pepper Park is someone blew up the Phoenix store.”

“Your heard right, and that’s not all”

“No shit, Sherlock”, replied [TgR]Killer.

“Come with me, I’m just going to see Lore of FF”

Brammers took a final glance at the two Gentanks before walking on towards to the Faction offices. Husk also looked at the two Gentanks, with a look to make the two gentanks think twice about doing anything.

Brammers explained as quickly as possible that someone did indeed bomb the Phoenix store. He then explained what had happened to Lisa.

“You think they can get her out? Man I want to give her this Black and Gam-dust nailpolish I got for her”. [TgR]Killer showed Brammers the bottle, before putting it back safe in his pocket.”

Brammers smiled. “If there is a chance I’m willing to give it a go. We are about to mount an operation to find her at…or I should say…in Gravis uplink. I’m going to see Lore about taking control of the op, to make life easier for the team that should be at the uplink waiting for my go.”

Husk, [TgR]Killer and Brammers continued to proceed to the Fallen Angels Faction office, which was now a makeshift command centre for all the clan leaders of Twilight Guardian. Many of the clans had lost members in the Neutron bomb attack, and the radiation of the Canyons made it unsafe to remain there.

The three free minds entered the faction office. Husk spotted Lore straight away, and started heading towards where he was sat, with Brammers and [TgR]Killer just a few steps behind.

Lore looked up, “Husk...Killer...Brammers…don’t tell me one of my men have stepped out of line again”

Brammers considered his response for a second before replying. “No not this time.” Husk looked a little puzzled at Brammers for a brief second. “I’ve actually come as the CEO of Phoenix not as Faction Chairman, and require your assistance”

Lore waved his hand “Of course…fire away.”

Brammers explained that Phoenix Ltd may had located Lisa in the Gravis uplink systems somewhere, but to effectively find her, they needed to take control of the op.

“Gravis….we been getting a few false hack alarms from there…..but when we get there, nothing is there…and the console has already reset. Hmm the op is yours. Let me inform my sub-leaders to ignore the next lot of alarms from Gravis.”

Husk looked at Brammers with a look of hope. “Could be Lisa trying to get our attention?” Brammers nodded in agreement.

“Done…take the op when you are ready.”

“Thank you Lore”. Brammers opened a com-link to Morpheous. “Ok Morph, you have a go.”
“Roger sir, we are on it.”, replied Morpheous.
“I’ll be down in 30 minutes to see how things are going.”
“Ok sir, I’ll let the team know.”

Brammers turned off the com-link. “Husk, Killer I need to talk to you both about the bombing of the store and...”. Brammers voiced tailed off as he noticed all the Clan leaders stood to attention and shouted “Freedom is our law!”

[TgR]Killer was the first to spot the very important person that had stepped into the Faction office, and nudge Brammers to get his attention.

The very import person was Ronald Rodriguez, the Faction Leader of Twilight Guardian, 2nd only in Command to Hagen Yager.

Ronald Rodriguez spotted Brammers and started to walk very quickly towards Brammers.

“Mr Rodriguez sir.”, greeted Brammers.

“Mr Brammers.”, nodded Ronald. “I’ve got some bad new...”

[TgR]Killer and Husk looked at each other, fearing the news neither of them wanted to hear. [TgR]Killer squeezed the bottle of nail polish in his pocket, and closed his eyes.

Ronald continued on. “We have intelligence from the Dome. It looks like they will attack Tech Haven next.”
Lisa Merlins
THN User

Chapter 16: Gravis uplink

Postby Lisa Merlins » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:18 pm

Gravis uplink.

The Drom outside the uplink was munching on the grass, next to a small lake just outside the vast uplink. The uplink had three very large dishes connecting the other uplinks and numerous cable links connecting several other outposts in the nearby regions.

There was a very slight deep rumble, which made the Drom look up slightly. It looked up just enough to see the reflection of the five Rhino’s that had pulled up on the other side of the lake. It looked up further, as two hovertecs whooshed pass the Drom on their way to the entrance of the uplink. The Drom decided it wasn't in the mood today, and belted off into the distance.

In the first Rhino was Morpheous and Maggie Blackstone. They sat in the Rhino waiting for the final go ahead from Brammers. Morpheous got a list of the hackers in the force. A choice of four he had. Himself, Sedna, Kolesar and Garyu69.

The com-link from Techhaven buzzed in. “Ok Morph, you have a go.”
“Roger sir, we are on it.”, replied Morpheous.
“I’ll be down in 30 minutes to see how things are going.”
“Ok sir, I’ll let the team know.”. The com-link closed.
“Ok Gary, can you take 1st layer. Sedna.”
“Sir!”, Sedna buzzed in from the next Rhino.
“You take 2nd layer...let’s get that op...move in.”

The five Rhino’s all started their engine up and moved towards the uplink. The leading three Rhino’s went around the op to the open entrance. One of them went inside the op, while the other two took a covering position on the back entrance. The remaining two moved to a covering position on the front entrance of the op. Hiro and SanityIsLost was on the Rhino guns on the front entrance, while Renegade and Belkin manned the guns on the two Rhino’s at the back. Maggie Blackstone and Morpheous got out of Rhino in the middle of the op.

Allure and Wraith Nightcaster got out of Belkin’s Rhino, and Sedna got out of the Rhino that was being gunned by Renegade. A hovertec pulled out, and Garyu69 dismounted it.

“Get those layers down, Garyu69, get started.”

Garyu69 went upto the uplink control centre and opened his hacktool. He hoped this time it wasn’t going to crash again. He applied a little lube to the connection point, and plugged in the hacktool lead. Garyu69 pressed the start button and the display sprung into life.

“Sex!” he shouted, and got to work. Sedna looked at him a little amused, awaiting her turn. After thirty seconds, Garyu69 completed his work. “Done!”

Sedna started to get her hacktool ready, when all the sudden the clan com-link burst into life. “Kolesar here, I’m on the hill – we have 2 APC’s incoming, full of Elite storms. Wait...they gone off east.”

“Those storms keep turning up everywhere dude”, Sanityislost replied back. “We saw a group at Tristar at yesterday. They was chilled.”

“Is it me, but are those storms getting everywhere?”,asked Sedna. She opened her hacktool. “Beginning hack...”

“Ever since we had the Twilight Guardian in Techhaven, City Admin have been just about everywhere in these regions.”, Morpheous replied. “Just hope they keep away from this uplink.”

Sedna closed her hacktool. “Ok got it. Morpheous you ready.”

“Yeap”. Morpheous got out his new TL150 hacktool he had delivered yesterday. “Got to give this new tool a try out.”, he said grinning widely. He opened the display, and smiled.

A few minutes later the uplink computer systems registered the new owner of the op as Phoenix Ltd. Morpheous closed his hack tool.

“Right we better head down to the main control rooms”

Sedna and Morpheous went to the underground entrance. They climbed the long ladder down, and entered the first main room to the main uplink control room. Morpheous looked at the control panels in the main uplink control room, looking a little puzzled. “Something up Morpheous?” Asked Sedna.

“Yeah. Where to start. Ok we got to get the data being transferred across the link down. Trying to spot fragmented genrep data is going to be hard.”

Morpheous opened his com-link. “Ok someone lock down the genrep to clan only, and no-one from Phoenix is to use the GR.”

“Affirmative Sir.”, was a reply over the com-link.

Morpheous looked at the current transfer rate on the uplink. It was down a little, but it was still too high. Morpheous plugged his hacktool into the uplink, and brought up a list of connections. There was a lot of traffic flowing between Techhaven and Neocron perhaps a little more than usual.

He called up the data flow rates for between Techhaven, Foster Uplink and Neocron, which he noted was also busier than normal. He tried to access Crest uplink traffic, but was denied access.

“Who is holding Crest?”

“System Shock.”, came a reply.

“Figures. Right, I need to re-route some of the Techhaven-Neocron traffic away from this uplink. Time to upset some routing admins in Techhaven I think.”

Morpheous plugged in another hack tool to the control panels. He opened a link into the Techhaven routing control links to unbalance the load share. If he could get the data traffic down by 20%, it would make his next part of the plan much easier. He gradually changed the balance on the links to Foster and Crest from 33% to 42% and moved Gravis down from 33% to 20%.

“That’s done…now the hard bit. Searching through 20 terraquads of constantly changing data for any clues.”

Sedna and Morpheous plugged in their hack tools, and started the search.

It was going to take a long time.
Lisa Merlins
THN User

Postby Lisa Merlins » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:20 pm

ooc: Ok, next 2 chapters and code solution in a few days. :)
Lisa Merlins

Lisa Merlins
THN User

Postby sanityislost » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:00 am

Lisa.....FUCK YOU...j/k :P

very nice, tho u got me all hyped up...i need the next few parts :)

SiL ..:..
ImageImage
forwardslashsetspaceneedunderscoremonkspaceone
sanityislost
THN Uberaddict

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing